Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Different Dynamics

All the Sandy Murphy RSW RGI PAI paintings have been taken down today and carefully wrapped.  I felt a little sad, but being surrounded by Margaretann Bennett's new work gave me that little frisson of excitement I feel when a challenge awaits.  Plus, they are just plain fabulous!




I have to find the perfect home on the Smithy walls for the forty eight beautiful pieces that make up her new collection.  Hanging an exhibition is always a little daunting.  I want it to be as good as possible, with every piece in it's optimum place. 




I know how much work and preparation the artist has put in, and I really want to do their effort and talent justice.  Although mainly figurative, Margaretann's latest collection also includes some of her intricate still lifes and landscapes.


 


As I lay the pieces out and am mentally going through combinations and patterns, a welcome break occurs from my machinations as Lesley Carruthers arrives with sculpture to complement this exhibition.




Lesley is a widely acclaimed, talented sculptor working mainly in cast aluminium, and I am delighted to introduce her work to Smithy Gallery, particularly in conjunction with this exhibition.



These three pieces, set on the best quality oak plinths will be a fabulous punctuation to such a strong body of work from Margaretann.





Even with such a lot of work to do, I am already looking forward to the opening of the exhibition this Sunday, mainly because the gallery will be transformed into something completely different.  From the tranquility and tonal subtlety of the Sandy Murphy exhibition, it will have an altogether new and vibrant energy about it, and this is what I love about art, expression, creativity and being lucky enough to house it all under one roof.

Hope to see you there.


Thanks for reading!


Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment