Tuesday, May 08, 2012

The Smithy Gallery Award

I had the great honour of being asked to select a painting for the new Smithy Gallery Award at the Paisley Art Institute's annual exhibition.





The exhibition opened on Saturday 5th May, but what a thrill it was to be invited to visit a week or so earlier to peruse the exhibition alongside the other judges.  I viewed for more than two hours. 

This grand exhibition is now in its 124th year and the standard is extremely high.  I loved several of the paintings, many by artists I admire hugely, so how to choose just one!





As is often the case, it's the one that grabbed me straight away.  Love at first sight!  There is something very distinctive about this Neil MacDonald painting.  It had a very strong quality about it that felt quite new to me.  The composition is striking, raising you far about the water below and in person, it shimmers magically. 

It's a beautiful work and I'm very pleased with my choice, even although it meant passing by fabulous paintings by Sandy Murphy RSW RGI PAI, James Cosgrove, Michael Durning, three artists who incidentally will be showing at Smithy Gallery later in the year!

Thank you to the president of the PAI Michael Durning, and to all of the committee members for being so welcoming and making this such a warm experience.

The exhibition continues until 3rd June.  Go see!


Thanks for reading!


Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment