Friday, November 04, 2011

Love At First Sight

I visited the fabulous artist David Martin RSW RGI today to collect some new paintings for the upcoming Winter Exhibition.  I am privileged enough to be invited to his studio to choose what I would like to show at the gallery.  I was blown over by some of his new work.  He has always been one of my favourite artists, but when I clapped eyes on this painting . . . . .




 . . . . . it was love at first sight.  Pure and simple love!  It's called The Round Table, it's huge, and it's so much more vibrant in real life.  I swooned, but as he told me no, not that one, that it's destined for London at some point for one of his solo exhibitions, my face fell as quickly as my heart had flown.  

He directed me to other paintings, but must have noticed my neck craning, a small tremble in my lower lip. Okay, I just came out and begged!  Please please, that one!!  Boo to London and their fancy ways, give it to me!  I'm paraphrasing.  I'm sure, I think, I was more subtle than that . . . .

David is almost 89 years old and sharp as a tack.  He came round pretty quickly, probably convinced it wouldn't fit in my car - and he was right!  After futile attempts, I gave up and slumped at the disappointment.

And this is how lovely David is.  He realised I really did care about the painting, and insisted that we change the frame, find one a little less wide so that it would fit in the car.  And we did.  Together we reframed this beautiful work in the perfect frame for it, and my car!  I was so incredibly touched by his consideration for my admiration of the painting. 


You see, love can conquer all.


Thanks for reading!


Natalie



No comments:

Post a Comment