Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Highlights of 2012


2012 has been a very special year for me, and there have been many special and memorable moments in the gallery.  I have two more blog posts of 2012, so I thought I might relive a few of them.

Nothing could have prepared me for the success and excitement around the Alasdair Gray and Joyce Gunn Cairns MBE exhibition which opened in April.


Alasdair and Joyce in Alasdair's Studio


Something can start as a germ of an idea, and then with a lot of enthusiasm and a little luck, it can turn into something fabulous, and it did. It was Alasdair Gray who was a fan of Joyce Gunn Cairns and he had wanted to share an exhibition with her.  She suggested it to me and it went from there.



Meeting with Joyce in her Studio


These two artists are, as people, the most interesting I have ever met.  Alasdair Gray is a huge talent, generous, entirely unique, and dare I say a national treasure. Joyce Gunn Cairns is engaging, incredibly talented, creative, and once you get to know her, you just want to know her more and more. She of course should be a national treasure too!



The artists at the opening



It was one of those incredibly positive experiences, from working with the two artists and their beautiful and intricate works of art, to the interest from the world of journalism and literature.  These two visual artists are rare because their works are so steeped in literature.




One of my favourite invitation covers




Quotations on the Invitation



The exhibition itself was received with enthusiasm and great interest, and it was one of those where every moment was a joy, from conception to, well even just now thinking about it. 



A busy opening



I don't think I've ever read so much during the course of an exhibition.   I read the many poems that have influenced Joyce's work, and of course the works by Alasdair Gray.

I was very happy to receive a signed copy of Alasdair's latest work, his autobiography.


At the end of a busy opening with my signed copy 


Thank you Alasdair Gray and Joyce Gunn Cairns, and to every one who helped to make this exhibition one of the gallery's most memorable.

Thanks for reading!


Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment